Saturday, June 7, 2014

The reason why I serve: a reflection on the impact of Dr. Maya Angelou

"People will forget what you did, forget what you said-but they'll never forget how you made them feel" As I cleaned up from today's girls institute; the live stream memorial service of Dr. Maya Angelou in the background-those words rang out loud and clear. I found a spiritual connection to the events of today and my current activity. My reason for service to empower girls was wrapped up in that one famous quote of hers...I allowed myself to go there- to that emotionally vunerable place that could quite possibly result in the ugly cry. As I collected markers and paper, pushed in chairs and took down poster art work the tears began to fall. The legacy of individual power and birth right worth is what Dr. Angelou imparted in my life. I may not remember every literary masterpiece or every appearance she made but I remember the power of her existence and how her servant hood has changed my life. I am empowered even atmy lowest point to believe in my value, to recognize my worth. As a young girl I strougled terribly with this- I didn't see the value in my existence and found a kindred connection to the character in I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. For the first time in my life I felt heard, valued and not alone. This is why I pledge my life's work and every fiber of my being to encourage young girls on the journey to finding and loving their own unique voice. I am comforted and ignited by this spiritual coincidence experienced today- the celebration of the end of an extraordinary and larger than life legacy and the humble and spirited beginnings of my own legacy. Dr. Maya Angelou, take your rest thou faithful servant for you have impacted the world phenomenally.

No comments:

Post a Comment